Browser extension filling an incorrect field - Chrome and FF

GregSmid

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with the browser extension in Chrome and Firefox filling in a field that it shouldn't be filling. I don't use the extension with any other browsers, so it could affect others as well.

I've verified that it is definitely PasswordState filling the box by changing the Username stored in the password entry and seeing that the form is getting filled with the new value.

The form field name doesn't match what's saved in PasswordState, and in my browser extension preferences, I've left "Enable Autofill" unchecked, so it shouldn't be filling anything in automatically anyway.

Any idea what's happening here?

Thanks!

qT2EPuM.png

mbsJTsp.png

nlb2A06.png

p7QF3Rs.png

Hi Greg,

If you disable our extension, does it still auto-fill - just wanted to check that no other extension, or chome itself is doing the auto-filling here. Because as you've mentioned, with auto-fill turned off, it should not be doing this.

If it is Passwordstate doing this, are there any public web sites you see behaving like this, so we can test against them?

Thanks

Click Studios

It was definitely the PS plugin filling in the fields... if I disabled the plugin, they no longer get filled, and I tested changing the username recorded in PS entry from 'admin' to 'testing-changetoadmin' and the fields started filling in with the new test username. It was very persistent too... even if I cleared the box and tred and type something else in, it would re-fill the box within a couple seconds, over-writing what I typed.

Unfortunately I don't have any examples of a public website with the same behavior... so far it's just been on this Nimble SAN management web GUI page.

Having said that... in the grand IT tradition of "well it wasn't working before, but now that you're looking at it's working fine!", after behaving this way for the past few weeks, today it is working fine. :D Maybe disabling and re-enabling the plugin reset something....

Anyway, I'll pop back in here if it starts happening again!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, what triggered the change, but after a week or so of behaving on this Nimble management page... it's back!

I took a little screen capture video for you - https://ttprivatenew.s3.amazonaws.com/pulse/gsmid-f12/attachments/13222257/TinyTake21-04-2020-09-19-38.mp4

I wish I had an example of a public facing page I could point you at so you could see it in action, but so far it's just this one internal page.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - while I unfortunately still don't have any public examples, I found out today that I can replicate the issue on a different Nimble management web GUI page, from a different computer than the one I usually use. So, this isn't some weird quirk with my specific computer or browsers. So strange!

Greg

Archived