Adam

Stop Impersonating a User

I love the ability to impersonate a user and "see what they see", but I haven't be able to find a way to stop impersonating a user and revert back to my own session, short of logging out and back in.  Would be great if there were a link in the upper nav next to the flag "Currently Impersonating User XYZ" to "Stop Impersonating"

+1

Edit since I can't find the reply button.

Not implementing the feature because logging out and in is 'pretty quick and simple' is a relative statement. The tradeoff is something like the below:

1. developers having to write code for session state to track who you are and who you are impersonating with a button to impersonate yourself and delete said state, then maintain the codebase with that feature on top of all the others present. Simple to write the user story, but I know from my own dev experience that it is often not that simple to implement properly.

2. Users having to log out and re-authenticate 0-3 times each time they use the feature. For our setup, I have AD auth to get through the reverse proxy, then my AD creds again for PWS itself, then HOTP/TOTP/Push notifications for MFA. Thats a ~5 minute pain I could save with a 'unimpersonate' button, each time I used the feature.

As a result of the lack of said button, I don't use impersonate user unless forced to do so. Its more painful to use that feature than it is to slack the end user and ask for a screenshot of what pwd lists they see / what passwords do they see in a given list rather than have to log out and re-battle my way through the authentication dungeon.

Edited by aneumann
Reply button is missing