Session Timeout doesn't seem to happen when Tab not active

Steve

We use Google Chrome as our browser to host PasswordState.

We have the session timeout set to 15 minutes.

I have noticed that if I have logged into PasswordState, then switched to other tabs and done other activity within the browser, I can return to the PasswordState tab and the session is still active and I can use it, even though its been longer than 15 minutes.

I was also on the Administration tab when this occured, so don't know if that makes any difference?

Hi Steve,

Can I ask which build of Passwordstate you are running?  Were you doing any sort of activity under the Hosts tab prior to this happening, as there was a fix for this in a later build where the main web page would not log out if doing RDP or SSH sessions from under the Hosts tab.

When you say you are doing other activity in other tabs, do you mean on other websites, or do you have a second instance of Passwordstate open and are doing work within that?

I've just tested this myself setting the activity timeout to 1 minutes, and then I left my Passwordstate session logged in when having the Administration tab open, and after about 2 minutes of web browsing in other tabs I can back and it was logged out.

Regards,

Support

Hi Support,

We are running v8850.

I have not been anywhere near the Hosts tab on this particular instance.

I also happened to have the PasswordState API help page open at the same time, although don't know if thats relevant.

the other activity was other websites, not additional PasswordState pages (except help above)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm just doing another test now, on another environment running 8865, but setting the value to 15 minutes.  I'll let you know how this goes when test is complete.  I'll also leave the API page open too.

Could you also try another test where you log out of Passwordstate, log back in and then go do some other browsing again, and let me know if this helps.  I'm wondering if you clicking around in Passwordstate prior to leaving the tab unattended is causing this issue. 

Regards,

Support

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've just tested this again in 3 different environments, and I get logged out each time as expected - I was testing with the inactivity timer set to 2 minutes.

Are you on any specific page on Passwordstate when you navigate to other open tabs?

Is anyone else in the community able to reproduce this at all?

Regards

Click Studios

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I've noticed this when the tab is left open in the browser. It will time out but after successive logins in that tab at some point it will not timeout.

Inactivity is still set at 5 minutes.

From now on I'll close out the browser.

PS Build 8903

Chrome 81.0.4044.138

Thanks Paul. Are either of you able to provide steps to reproduce this consistently - as we cannot reproduce it?

Are you on any specific page on Passwordstate when you navigate to other open tabs?

Regards

Click Studios

Archived