Permissions to password folders and lists

KarenL

We are looking to propagate  permissions to nested folders and lists, but need to add a specific group or user profile   to a specific folder or list in the nested group.

I can't see an option to do this.

For example we have a folder for each department in the company. There are nested folders for servers, firewalls, and workstations.

I would like the admin group to have full access to all nested folders, Technicians read only to the workstations, tier 1  to servers and security staff to firewalls.

We have about 100 departments.

Hi

I understand all this. What I want is the option to add another permission to a folder/list that has inherited permissions. Like it works in NTFS.

Sometimes you need to give another person or group permission to a specific folder or list and don't want to convert the model because then you need to remember what is manual if you change the first group that propagates the permissions

Hi Karen,

If you have configured a Folder to propagate permissions down, then you can grant additional permissions to the folder. But you cannot modify permissions on any nested Password Lists or Folders, as they are inheriting from above - so we do not have the concept of blocking inheritance, if that is what you are needing?

Here is a training video for you as well, as it might help explain it better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJE_xD185U

Regards

Click Studios

Thank you for the video, it was very helpful.

We actually don't need permissions on the folders only on the list.

We are an IT service provider and I need to do is this:

Open a folder for each customer, add a subfolder for each site, add a password list for each subject, servers, firewalls, suppliers.

The permissions I need are the same for all "subject" lists for all customers (all server lists are the same permissions).

If I create a list template for each subject, and link it to the list,:

if I change the permissions in the template are the changes applied to all linked lists?

can I add a manual permission to a linked list (add another person not in the template for one specific list)

Does this sound good?

How do I un-grey the link to template in the create list? I can't find it in the system settings or the admin manual

image.png

Hi Karen,

Sorry for the confusion, as I thought you mentioned folders above initially.

And no, if you change permissions on a linked template, it will not change permissions on any permissions on the linked Password Lists - that feature is only used when the Password Lists are initially created.

So you need to modify permissions on each Password List as required, and that will propagate up to any folders above it.

For that disabled checkbox, please look for the setting "When creating a new Password List, and the settings are being Linked to a Template, allow users to uncheck the option for linking it to the Template" on the screen Administration -> System Settings -> Password List Options tab.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived