Deleting Password Lists and Folders WITH Recovery Possibilities

davep

I've found some older requests and discussions about this here, but I'm hoping there is something new I'm just missing.

I have a team that uses a sub-folder structure to store team-specific data.  Users are requesting the ability to delete folders they have created, due to changes or errors. 

The challenge is that it appears to me that their is still no way to recover data from deleted lists and/or folders. I hope this is incorrect, and readily admit I may well have missed something easy.

This is a major issue to me, as even well intentioned "cleanup" can create nightmares later if circumstances change or were different than the user understood at some level at the time.  I have seen older discussions referring to use of backups, but over many years I've seen countless circumstances where an issue wasn't discovered until significantly later, and the game of trying to figure out which backup might have the lost data can take tremendous time, and even be fruitless, if backups are pared down during archival, and the needed data only lived between the remaining recovery points.

Please, tell me I'm worried about nothing, and this is handled within the system.  If not, please accept my request to add permanent archive of data (or at least administrator-only granular cleanup), rather then permanent deletion. 

thank you. 

Hello Dave,

When deleting a folder, it does not delete any nested Password Lists beneath it. When deleting a Password List, the user is presented with the screen below - so hopefully no-one will accidentally delete a Password List. If they do delete the Password List, then a database restore is required in order to get the list back - which can be done to a test environment if needed.

Trying to provide a Recycle Bin for Password Lists is quite complicated, due to the amount of different tables the Password Lists reference - so it is unlikely we will work on this sort of feature. We hope you understand.

Snag_231f6bb6.png

Regards

Click Studios

That's what I was afraid of.  I understand the complication, believe me.  This being said, I now have to try to figure out a way to work around it without compromising the security we are using the product to provide, which to me looks pretty complicated too.  I do consider this to be the first major flaw in what has otherwise thus far proven a great, well designed system. 

Thanks for the clarification anyway. 

I would throw one other thing out there that you've probably already considered, but I'll say it anyway.  I've worked in a lot of data sensitive worlds where the rule was that you never really deleted anything.  In those cases (as it might apply here), the various data points (folders/lists/items) never went away.  Instead the "delete" functionality would set a flag, sometimes called "archive" or "hidden".  This was nothing but an additional field per row.  Normal users would never see an article that had that flag set, but with a certain privilege (like administrator), you could toggle showing or hiding those.  That authority could then toggle the field off, restoring it if needed.  In this case, it wouldn't have to replace the delete functionality, as you already have the ability to set that per group anyway.

Like I said, you've probably already considered that option, but if not, please toss it around.  It really is a good product. 

Hi Dave,

Yes, we've considering a flag like you've suggested, and that was our first choice. But due to the amount of code that references the PasswordLists table, there would be a significant amount of work to change all SQL queries throughout all modules i.e. the User Interface, the Passwordstate Windows Services, both API(s), the mobile client, and the Remote Site Location agent.

We wish this was easier to implement, so we will look into it at some stage, if enough customers vote on your requets.

Regards

Click Studios

• 9 months later...

Archived