Employee Onboarding and Password resets

Beau P.

I installed the trial today and I've been searching through the documentation and I'm having trouble finding the preferred ways to handle these two actions.

Scenario #1:

When new employees are onboarded, they are provided with a list of temporary passwords for different systems we use. What is the correct (or preferred) way to handle providing the initial temporary passwords to the user in PasswordState? I was looking for a way to "send" a password to a user's private password list but it doesn't look like that is possible.

Scenario #2:

A user has forgotten a password to a system. The manager resets the password. What is the preferred way to handle providing the user with the new password? The method for this is probably similar or identical to Scenario #1.

Hello Beau,

Thanks for your enquiry, and please see responses below.

Scenario #1 - that is correct about Private Password Lists - only the owner of the List has accessed to that. The only option I can think of here is our Self Destruct Message feature, if these need to be stored in Private Lists - but that might be more work than needed.
Scenario #2 - Again possibly a Self Destruct Message for this. But if more than one user is meant to have access to these Passwords, you could also use a Shared Password List and restrict access to this list.

Sorry we don't have any ideal solution for this, but you are quite restricted when using Private Password Lists.

Regards

Click Studios

I think I found a workaround.

1. Administrator creates a shared list with permissions only to themselves and the intended user and calls it something like "onboarding accounts for <first> <last>"

2. Administrator loads the list with the temporary passwords

3. Administrator removes their access to the list

4. Administrator converts the list to a private list

Do you see any issues in my process there? It seems to work on my trial install.

Haha no worries. My company is in software development as well and customers come up with some wild uses for our software that we would never have dreamed of!

I appreciate the help. If we decide to continue with the product after the trial, I may enter a feature request for consideration to streamline that process a little.

Cheers!

Archived