I have SQL 2017 Express and Passwordstate both running on a Windows Server 2016 box. During the initial setup of password state I am able to successfully test the connection with the "passwordstate" SQL account I made. When selecting "next" I am first prompted with an error page that does not stick around long enough to read and then ultimately with an error page that reads: 

"Server Error in '/' Application. An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated."

Here what I have done so far:

Verified SQL permissions

Verified .NET 4.5

Restarted IIS

Attempted creating a new database and creating using a blank database

- I verified that PasswordState does in fact create create the database and populate it with data/tables

Unfortunately there are no logs, so there is not much more information I can get. Any help would be great!

Hello,

Sorry you've having some issues with this, and we sent an email to all possibly affected customers last Friday night regarding this issue. I will resend that email to you again, in case it was not received, but below is how you can fix this issue - sorry again for the bug in the first place:

It has been brought to our attention that a new release of Passwordstate, released yesterday, will not let you complete the initial Setup Wizard due to an issue with a SQL script. (this would have impacted new installs for Build 8650)

We are very sorry for this oversight, and have a quick fix for you if you wish to try the process again:

Or if you prefer, you can download the full install again from https://passwordstate-8665.kxcdn.com/passwordstate.zip, but you will need to follow that forum post above to delete your Passwordstate database first.

Regards

Click Studios

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I followed the instructions and our build is now fully functional.

During my troubleshooting I also stumbled upon your silent install script for Passwordstate and SQL 2016 Express. I was surprised this was not more readily available on the download page, as it would have saved me a bit of time. Additionally, I was surprised your documentation omitted "support" for Server Core although as I have read and am not experiencing, it installs and works fantastic on server core!

Again, thanks for your help. I look forward to evaluating the product. 

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it.

We do have a few customers using Server Core, and I guess the main reason we do not mention the compatibility is because we have never really used it ourselves - and customers would expect us to provide support for core as well, which can be a bit more challenging troubleshooting issues without the normal UI.

Regards

Click Studios