Auditing of System Setting Modifications

It would be nice to have an audit log for all additions or modifications made via the application administration section; including what setting was changed to what.

Example:

"User XX changed XX setting from XX to XX".
"User XX added Active Directory security group XX from the domain XX"

"User XX granted Active Directory security group XX modify rights to the template XX"

In a multi-administrator environment being able to know these changes and revert them if required would be hugely beneficial; especially when many modifications are made but may not be captured in the work notes the user maintains.

Thanks Sarge.

We've also thought about this in the past, but not sure technically how we would achieve this - if you look at all the possible settings alone under the System Settings screen, there would be 100's if not 1000's of changes that would need to be somehow tracked, and reported. Hopefully one day we can come up with a solution for this.

Regards

Click Studios

9 minutes ago, support said:

We've also thought about this in the past, but not sure technically how we would achieve this - if you look at all the possible settings alone under the System Settings screen, there would be 100's if not 1000's of changes that would need to be somehow tracked, and reported. Hopefully one day we can come up with a solution for this.

No worries.
I'm probably showing my ignorance but I'd have thought it'd be a kin to showing the difference of a database value for the system setting prior to change and then after the change; while prepending the users unique identifier.

Yes, this is what would be required, but presenting that meaningfully in auditing data would be a challenge. If you have a look at the database schema of the SystemSettings table alone, we would some how need to present the 200 odd different fields into meaningful auditing data. Not impossible to, but we'd expect quite a bit of development work would be required to achieve it.

Regards

Click Studios

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Support,

Thanks for implementing this feature. 

I've noticed a potential bug when testing it. I set the Web Site Allowed IP Ranges to *.*.*.* and hit save, the application stopped the entry from being saved as it should but an auditing event was still recorded for the attempted save. 

It would also be great in a future build if the previous value and new value can be captured in the auditing data.

Hi Sarge,

Thanks. For the values, there could be sensitive data for certain fields, and this is the reason we do not record the values.

If possible, we generally recommend change control documents the changes, so that the changes are also well understood.

Regards

Click Studios