CSV Import & Remote Spark

ecp

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum. I do apologize if it should have been posted elsewhere.

During testing of PasswordState functionality, I initially had some issues with the csv file imports, where it would not import the data correctly. I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but it seems to ignore the csv headers/field-names. Instead, it expects the data to be served in a specific order (eg. the title first, then the username, then notes, etc.). From the instructions, it sounds like fields that are not marked as required can be skipped, but if PasswordState only looks at the order of rows, you would still have to include the ones you are not interested in, to make sure that it imports any subsequent ones correctly. Is this intended, a bug or did I completely misunderstand something ?

While trying to understand how the Remote Sessions works, I found the license file (if the default website location is used: "C:\inetpub\Passwordstate\hosts\gateway\license") of Remote Spark. When opened in a text editor, it mentions "end_support 2019-03-11" (I don't know if the format is yyyy-mm-dd or yyyy-dd-mm), but I assume it's the former, meaning it expires in just over a month from now. Will the expiry have any impact on the functionality of Remote Sessions - and if so, how is the license updated ? (eg. through a new PasswordState release or another method)

Hello,

With our CSV import process, we generally recommend to use the 'Generate CSV Template' button you see below for each Password List - this will ensure you have the correct format in your CSV file.

The license for the Browser Based Remote Session Launcher gateway will be automatically updated in a future build, but it is perpetual - so even if you do not upgrade, it will continue to work.

csvimport.png

Thank you for the reply =)

I know that it's possible to generate a csv template, but the general usage of csv import functionality is to import records from other systems, where there might not be a direct match in the types of records between PasswordState and an export from those systems. Instead of being able to use the exported data directly (regardless of the amount of columns and their order) by simply renaming some of the header-names in the exported data to the names that PasswordState expects, you have the manipulate and copy/paste between multiple data-sheets/csv files.

I feel that PasswordState is a great product. This is an area that I believe could be improved a bit though to ensure that new or potential customers will have the best possible start to using PasswordState. I think the import process would be greatly simplified from a customer perspective, if PasswordState ignored the amount of columns (and their order) and instead looked at header-names, importing only those specific ones that match with the name in PasswordState.

Hi Ecp,

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it. We'll need to look at technically how we could achieve this in a future release.

Until we're able to work on this, you should be able to rename the header-names in your existing spreadsheet, and then simple re-organize the column orders in Excel - you can quickly move columns around in Excel, and it shouldn't take that long at all.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived