Check in automatically length of time

bobstheword

Hi,

I am interested in buying Passwordstate so am evaluating it at the moment. Our current system allows users to request access to a password for up to 7 days after which the password is reset once the request expires. I see Passwordstate has a Check in automatically option (plus an automatic reset of the password upon check in) but it seems to have a maximum period of 23 hours 59 minutes. Maybe I am already missing something but is there a setting to increase the time a request is valid for?

Ideally I'd want PasswordState to allow up to x number of days before a password is checked in and automatically reset but if that is not possible then is there a way to force a password reset every 7 days regardless of whether a password is currently checked out or not.

Is the above currently possible with PasswordState? or is that feature coming any time soon?

Thanks.

Hi bobstheword,

Yes, we do have an option for this, as we are just about to also start redesigning this 'Request Access' feature as well.

The users can use the 'Request Access to Passwords' from the Passwords main navigation menu on the left of the screen. When the approver processes this request, they can specify time-based access as per the screenshot below.

With the redesign, we are going to allow the user to specify how long they need access, so the 'Approver' does not need to do this manually themselves. We're hoping the new changes will be available in the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Does this help at all?

timebased.png

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at password state again, I think I can partially achieve what I want to achieve by setting:

Set the Expiry Date to Current Date + 7 days Days when adding new passwords

Reset the Expiry Date to Current Date + 7 days Days when manually updating passwords

plus:

When Passwords expire, Auto-Generate a new one and perform any reset tasks at the time of:

00 hour, 00 minute, and add 7 Days to the Expiry Date

From what I can see the above means that when an account is added its password will expire after 7 days at which point it will be reset and expiry updated to a further 7 days. Will this result in the password being reset every 7 days?

For our use it would be better if the passwords were reset after a check out period expires. We don't require an approver to access the user's own priviledged accounts e.g. a member of the IT helpdesk accessing their own privileged account password. I do need, however, to ensure only that person has access to the password at specific times (to ensure they are the only ones who could have used it at that time). It would be good to put a maximum amount of time that such an account can be checked out for i.e. check in automatically. At the moment this feature has a maximum period of time of 23 hours 55 minutes. Less than 24 hours is a very short length of time as it would require e.g. an IT Helpdesk person to check out the password every day. It would be great to have a field for number of days along with hours and minutes and also that I, as an administrator, could set a maximum amount of time for check outs e.g. 7 days or 14 days etc. Is this something that I need to request as a feature?

Hello,

With that screenshot I provided above, this is only for access (permission) to an existing record. It has nothing to do with adding password records into the system.

Maybe instead you need our exclusive check in/out feature. With the screenshot below, you can enable this per record on the Security tab. The user can check the record back in, or it can be set to automatically check back in if the user forgets. And the password can also be reset at the time of checkin if required.

Does this help at all?

checkinout.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, yes the exclusive check in/out feature is the feature I was referring to but the maximum length of time for "Check in Automatically" is 23 hours 55 minutes. It would be nice if feature also included a number of days so "Check in Automatically" could be set for 1 week, for example.

Archived