Server 2016 - Uninstalling WSUS breaks passwordstate

Guest NeilF

Hi,

I have Passwordstate installed on a Server 2016 VM. I was having problems with WSUS so wanted to uninstall it, clear the SUSDB from the Windows Internal Database, then reinstall.

Unfortunately uninstalling WSUS breaks Passwordstate, with the Web UI just displaying "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

Reverting to a snapshot taken just before uninstalling WSUS brings everything back to normal.

Please could you give me a pointer on how to aquire any extra information you need to look into this bug?

Thanks

Hi Neil,

Sorry you've had some issues with this, but we're not exactly sure why this would be the case. We can only presume the uninstall of WSUS has modified IIS in some way. Possibly it's removed some IIS roles, but we cannot be sure. The roles IIS need are:

Common HTTP Features
• Static Content
• Default Document
• HTTP Errors

Application Development
• ASP.NET (or ASP.NET 4.5 on Server 2012 and Windows 8)
• .NET Extensibility (or .NET Extensibility 4.5 on Server 2012 and Windows 8)
• ISAPI Extensions
• ISAPI Filters

Security
• Windows Authentication
• Request Filtering

Performance
• Static Content Compression

Maybe check if these are still there after uninstalling WSUS. If they are, look in the Windows Application Event log after trying to access Passwordstate, as it may have more error information you can look into.

Regards

Click Studios

• 1 year later...

Hi Eric,

We're not sure sorry, as we do not use WSUS. If you look at page 5 on the following document, it shows which IIS roles our software requires - https://www.clickstudios.com.au/downloads/version9/Installation_Instructions.pdf

If these are still installed, then all we can suggest is logging a support call with Microsoft, and asking them what is removed from the OS when you uninstall WSUS.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived