Email Templates

GuidoPinamonti

Yo Passwordstate Guru's,

If email templates are enabled under the Administration tab, where is the email sent assuming there is no email notification group set up and the 'also sends email to' is not filled out on the email template? Note that our security administrator users do not have an email address associated with their account. How would user preferences apply for emails notifications given that there are email templates setup under Administration tab? I don't understand the preference.

Guido

Hi Guido,

First of all, to receive emails from Passwordstate, you need to have an email address associated with your account in Passwordstate.

Secondly, Email Notification Groups are design to prevent certain emails from being sent, for different sets of users. To explain a bit further:

• On the screen Administration -> Email Templates, they can be disabled/blocked globally here for all users
  • On the screen Administration -> Email Notification Groups, they can be disabled/blocked for certain sets of users
  • Or on the screen Preferences -> Email Notifications, users can disable/block notifications themselves

And above is the order of precedence as well i.e. if a Notification is disabled on the screen Email Templates, then the other two methods are not relevant.

As to when the user receives notifications, that depends on the notification type i.e. if another team member edits a password record, if you have access to that record you will receive an email notification>

I hope this helps a little.

Regards

Click Studios

So the distribution list for any given email notification is different depending upon the notification type. Who is notified for 'discovery job results'? Are the recipients for the other email notifications documented somewhere? For example, if the email template says 'notifies user' does that also notify the Security Administrators or would one need to explicitly add this distribution list to the template? Thx!

Guido

P.S. I'm also getting the error below when I try to send a test email from the email template screen. This happens if I also put in a valid email address in the 'Also sends email to:' line.

Error Code = The parameter 'address' cannot be an empty string. Parameter name: address, StackTrace = at System.Net.Mail.MailAddress..ctor(String address, String displayName, Encoding displayNameEncoding) at admin_emailtemplates_edit.SendEmail(String strSubject, String strFromAddress, String strToAddress, String strBody)

Hi Guido,

In your example of "discovery job results", whoever has been give permission to the Job will receive the email notification for this. By default when you create a job you are given permission, but you can assign to other users as well.

For the test email, can you tell me if you have an email address associated with your account in Passwordstate - on the screen Administration -> User Accounts. Based on the error it does not sound like you do.

Regards

Click Studios

Dear Click Studios,

Our administrators have two user accounts, one of which is used for elevated account access. The elevated account has no email address associated with it. And the elevated accounts are defined as security administrators within Passwordstate. How should we set up email templates, notification groups, etc.  so that our administrator's non-elevated account receives all the appropriate email alerts destined for Passwordstate's security administrators? I was hoping I could use the 'Also sends email to' under Email Templates, but it appears that if the security administrators do not have an email address an error is generated and this additional email address is not used. Thx!

Guido

Hi Guido,

Sorry, but you will need email addresses associated with these Security Administrator's accounts if you wish them to receive relevant notifications like this. And you're correct about "Also sends email to" - as per normal emails, you cannot leave the 'To' address blank, and CC someone else.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived