Passwordstate - Backup Failure

Failed automatic backup performed by the Passwordstate Windows Service to path \\site1station1\PSbackup$. Error = BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Cannot open backup device '\\site1station1\PSbackup$\Passwordstate20180709000030.bak'. Operating system error 1(Incorrect function.).

Please assist. Permissions are all okay and nothing changed in the SQL server. 

Hello,

Sorry you're having some issues with this. Was it working previously, because the error indicates that the SQL Backup can no longer be performed? If it was working previously, something must have changed to cause this.

In the Help Menu, under Security Administrators manual, can you have a look at all the detail in the Backups And Upgrades section? It details what's required here for SQL Server backups i.e. the SQL Server Windows Services must be configured with a domain account which has permissions to move the backup file to the specified backup path.

We hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards

Click Studios

Failed automatic backup performed by the Passwordstate Windows Service to path \\site1station1\PSbackup$ on Web Server 'site1iis1'. Error = BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Cannot open backup device '\\site1station1\PSbackup$\Passwordstate20180709000030.bak'. Operating system error 1(Incorrect function.).

This is what it says in the Backups and Upgrades section.

site1station1 is the file server and site1iis1 is the webserver

Database backup failed. You must configure the SQL Server service to use the credentials of a domain account which has write access to the Backup Path you've specified. Please refer to the documentation for how to configure SQL Server correctly.

This is also what I get when I test permissions 

• 2 years later...

I got the same error one time last night. It's been working and it worked after the error occurred with automatic backups as well. Not sure how your forums work or if this will get noticed, but I'd like some assistance as well. 

In my backups and upgrades section we have always been using a service account to do this. the password is set to never expire, so I know that's not the issue, as well as because the error happened at 10:08pm last night, and a successful backup ran at 4:06am (6 hours later). Just trying to figure out what caused the error so we don't see issues in the future.

Thank you!

Hello!

No it wasn't the exact same error message. The error message we saw was as stated below. It hasn't happened again, every backup prior to this error and after so far has been successful. Maybe it was just a network blip or something.

Failed automatic backup performed by the Passwordstate Windows Service to path \\01p-pws01\passwordstate_backups on Web Server '01p-pws01'. Error = BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Write on "\\passwordstate_server\passwordstate_backups\Passwordstate20210218220353.bak" failed: 64(The specified network name is no longer available.)

Okay thanks.

With the error of "The specified network name is no longer available", possibly this was a DNS issue at the time, but it's difficult to tell, without being able to troubleshoot it whilst the issue is able to be replicated.

Regards

Click Studios