Bug report: Linux password reset script

Buckit

Hi again,

In a situation very similar to my earlier thread about problems with the Windows password resetting script, I am now also running into issues with the Linux resetting and validation/heartbeat scripts.

SYMPTOMS:

• Running a password change against an account, using a privileged account for Linux, reports a false positive: the password is not changed, but the reset button turns green.
  • Running a heartbeat validation against the account which was changed (but which did not change) reports a false positive: PasswordState says the new password is valid, while it is not.

REPRODUCTION:

• I'm running build 8180, on 2012R2 with Powershell 3 and a local MSSQL Express.
  • I'm resetting two local accounts (e.g. in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow). One is "root", let's call the other "bob".
  • The accounts in question cannot login through SSH, so I'm using a privileged account. Let's call it "pstate".
  • The privileged account ("pstate") can SSH into the system.
  • The privileged account ("pstate") has one SUDO command allowed: /bin/passwd and /usr/bin/passwd.
  • Host records and user/password objects were made in PasswordState. The current password for the users is entered into the record.
  • PasswordState can connect to the host just fine and the priv. user "pstate" is seen logging in.
  • I now ask PasswordState to: heartbeat, expire, heartbeat for both local accounts ("root" and "bob").

OUTCOME:

• PasswordState reports that the initial heartbeat is OK/green.
  • PasswordState reports that the password reset is OK/green.
  • PasswordState reports that the post-reset heartbeat is OK/green.
  • However, testing the password locally (with "su - root") fails. The logs show the password is incorrect.
  • The local /etc/shadow files also show that zero updates were made.
  • The logs also show that the SU for the post-reset heartbeat fails!
  • The SUDO logs report a number of failed SUDO commands for the priv. user "pstate". See logging below. One is the "echo" command. Seriously, why the heck would you "sudo echo"?! That makes no sense.

CONCLUSION:

It is my conclusion that, similar to the other issues I have reported before, the outcome validation of the plugins and scripts of PasswordState is severly lacking in error detection. Many situations report false positives, which will lead to big problems down the road! What would we do if our root passwords turn out to be incorrect during a large outage?!

LOGGING:

Now, I feel silly saying this, but I cannot currently pull the text logs from the testing environment. We'll have to make do with screenshots for now.

Logging-part1.thumb.png.4a0e638316d6caeaa5e10bee96688ea3.png

Logging-part2.thumb.png.d92e3c50b393c2673c2587f2a1003ac6.png

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS:

I will start delving into the Powershell scripts to search for more background on the matter.

SUGGESTIONS:

• I don't know why or when you added the design assumption that "sudo passwd root" should ask for the root account's password. I've never seen that in production environments, so it's a bit odd to have that in there. I would just as soon dike that assumption out in your official product, but doing so would break the installations for all your other customers. We're all kind of stuck now ;)
  • More to follow...

Cheers!

Thomas

Well, I'm a bit less confused why you would use "sudo echo". It's a cute way of verifying the user's password if it's the root account. Funny :)

if ($Username -eq 'root') {
	$ValidateCmd = "  echo '$CurrentPassword'  | sudo -kS echo Password Validated || echo Password Incorrect`r"
}
else {
	$ValidateCmd = " echo ' $CurrentPassword' | su '$username'`r"
}

This whole section's weird though, because this command blurb is only applicable when $PrivilegedAccountUserName -ne "". We're connecting as the priv. user and we're validating root; you don't want to use sudo here, you want to SU to the target user. Unless you''re again assuming that the SUDO rule wants root's password. Which it won't; that's not normal behaviour.

Putting that aside, the command fails either way and the script fails to pick up on it. It still falsely reports a success. I'll try and dig up why it does that.

EDIT:

Yeah, I've found it...

$results = $ssh.GetReceivedText($channelNum, "ansi")

if ($results -eq $null)
{ $exception = New-Object System.Exeption ($ssh.LastErrorText); throw $exception }

if ($results.toLower() -like  '*: password validated*' -or $results.toLower() -like '*:password validated*')
{
	Write-OUtput "Success"
} 
else {
	if ($results.toLower() -like '*authentication failure*') {
		Write-Output "Failed to validate password for account '$UserName' on Host '$HostName'. UserName or Password is incorrect."
	}
	else {
		Write-Output "Success"      # <-- SMOKING GUN
	}
}

The mind boggles. If the output does not match the expected success result, nor does it match the expected error result, we just assume that it's a succes?! O_O

I'm changing that locally to instead write something like "Unexpected failure on the Linux side."

I have also found why the password changes are failing: the PAM module pam_pwquality is interfering. Apparently the passwords are TOO long or complicated. I'll poke around some more.

The original point stands though: the false successes are a potential disaster.

EDIT:

Another thought... Why does running the password reset script also set the heartbeat status light to green? It does not actively go out and test the password after setting it, so this is another false flag. It would be much better if, after changing a password, it was immediately verified as well. That way you'd immediately know if things failed, despite the change-script reporting a false success. That's a feature request right there: always validate/heartbeat after a password change! Never assume success.

Hi Buckit,

Thanks for the detail - we appreciate it.

At this stage, our script is trying to capture as many possible error scenarious that we've come across with all the different Linux distros. The issue with Linux is all the different distro's out there, and a lot of inconsistencies with messages back for password resets - it makes it challenging to have the one script, which is definitely our preference from a user experience perspective.

We'll start doing some testing today to see if we can capture all the 'Successful' password reset messages back from Linux, and then anything outside of this would be raised as a failed exception.

Hopefully with this approach it will resolve this issue for you, and potentially other customers as well. We'll let you know what we find.

Regards

Click Studios

10 hours ago, Buckit said:

Well, I'm a bit less confused why you would use "sudo echo". It's a cute way of verifying the user's password if it's the root account. Funny :)

Hi Buckit,

We assisted ClickStudios to come up with a way to validate root password. 
The only method we were able to come up with which worked, was to sudo to root. su won't accept stdin without a terminal (!requiretty doesn't help), sudo does. Thus we can pass the root password down the pipeline.

As you mentioned, sudo won't request root password (by default). Which is why there is the requirement to set the priv account to require rootpw to use sudo in sudoers. (Defaults:privaccount rootpw)

This is a non-issue for the most part in my opinion. It only applies to the 1 account (privaccount) no one should be using the account besides passwordstate nor even have the password for it. The privaccount should have password resets enabled as well, and nobody should know the root password beyond the absolute minimum people. 
There's no good reason to use root password besides direct console access when you're up the creek without a paddle so to speak.

11 hours ago, Buckit said:
  • I don't know why or when you added the design assumption that "sudo passwd root" should ask for the root account's password. I've never seen that in production environments, so it's a bit odd to have that in there. I would just as soon dike that assumption out in your official product, but doing so would break the installations for all your other customers. We're all kind of stuck now ;)

As mentioned, because we were unable to come up with another method to validate root password beyond piping it to sudo.
su would be ideal, but doesn't accept stdin and requires a terminal. Atleast on our RHEL7 and RHEL5 machines specifying !requiretty didn't help either.

You can always use ssh keys.

9 hours ago, Buckit said:

Apparently the passwords are TOO long or complicated. I'll poke around some more.

We haven't seen this in our environment but our root passwords aren't all that complicated. What are your requirements that you're trying to use? We're generating 15 character alphanumeric with specials. (Based on a custom pattern)

Hi Buckit,

We have a change to the Linux Password Reset script if your willing to test it?

If you edit the file C:\inetpub\Passwordstate\setup\scripts\Set-LinuxHostPassword.ps1, and change the following lines (like you see in the screenshot below) from:

#Add other wildcard matches here as required

default { Write-Output "Success"}

to

#Process successful resets
"*updated successfully*" { Write-Output "Success"; break }

#And a final exception for any errors not caught above
default { Write-Output "Failed to execute script correctly against Host '$HostName' for the account '$UserName'. Error = " $results.ToString(); break}

Save the file and restore the script into the DB. To restore the script you go to the screen Administration -> PowerShell Scripts, click on the 'Scripts - Password Reset' button, and then restore the default script from the Actions menu for this record.

Hopefully that should resolve it for you, and if so, we will include this change in the next release.

linuxreset.png

Regards

Click Studios

7 hours ago, support said:

At this stage, our script is trying to capture as many possible error scenarious that we've come across with all the different Linux distros. The issue with Linux is all the different distro's out there, and a lot of inconsistencies with messages back for password resets - it makes it challenging to have the one script, which is definitely our preference from a user experience perspective.

Good morning guys :) First up, I sincerely hope I didn't sound too dickish in my first posts of this thread. I learned a few things today, thanks to you all :) But we'll get to that.

Now... I realize that catching all the right messages is going to be hard. One nice work-around would be to do what I suggested: verify the password immediately after setting it. Don't assume that if the change-script reports a success, that it actually worked. Right now, heartbeat status is set to green after a change, so why not let PasswordState do an actual verification? Personally I'd auto-set it to grey after a reset, not green. 

Sarge, on to your points:

The only method we were able to come up with which worked, was to sudo to root. su won't accept stdin without a terminal (!requiretty doesn't help), sudo does. Thus we can pass the root password down the pipeline.

Ha, I learned something today! Thanks! That makes sense and I feel stupid for not know this upfront. That's also why the following didn't make much sense until now:

Which is why there is the requirement to set the priv account to require rootpw to use sudo in sudoers. (Defaults:privaccount rootpw)

I did not gather the right urgency from the manuals regarding that particular topic, so I went against it and never applied the rootpw. Now, since we're managing our SUDO-rules centrally in LDAP I'll poke around and see if we can't apply settings like these on a per-rule basis. I hardly feel like modifying /etc/sudoers on our hundreds of boxen. I know, a config manager like Puppet would do wonders; don't get me started :P 

We haven't seen this in our environment but our root passwords aren't all that complicated. What are your requirements that you're trying to use? We're generating 15 character alphanumeric with specials. (Based on a custom pattern)

After I posted that blurb I poked around some more and it seems like the issue may be something else entirely. I'll prod the croc some more. 

I also have a fun idea to verify the password in a completely different way. I'll try that out before making a bigger oaf of myself :P 

... and back to Support:

We have a change to the Linux Password Reset script if your willing to test it?

Heck yeah, I'm on it like... well, insert any colorful analogy of your choosing. I'll test that asap. That's some awesomely fast work you've done. Thank you!

I've been saying this to many colleagues: I've got nothing but good words for Click Studios. You're friendly, professional and quick to respond. I love your quick turnaround on patching as well :) Great work. 

I'll keep you posted.

Woof, this is a toughy. 

Thing is, sudo.ldap does have a way of pulling Defaults from "CN=defaults,OU=sudoers", but I haven't yet figured out how to plonk "Defaults:pstate rootpw" in there properly. I haven't found any proper examples yet and what I've tried so far leads to syntax errors. 

Trying to do away with the need for the rootpw clause entirely, I've taken to looking for alternative ways of verifying the known password. I've gotten the following to work:

SALT=$(sudo grep ^"root:" /etc/shadow | cut -d\$ -f3); diff <(sudo grep ^"root:" /etc/shadow | cut -d: -f2) <(python -c "import crypt; print (crypt.crypt('${KNOWNPASSWORD}', '\$6\$${SALT}\$'))")

The downside to this is:

• We assume that Python is installed.
  • The privileged account will also need SUDO privileged to grep. That's nasty. We can of course limit it to "grep * /etc/shadow" but it's still not very nice. It certainly ups the level of risk.

An alternative to using the Python solution, would be mkpasswd. However, that's not available on all Linuxen and I understand that its functionality also differs per distro. Darn. 

EDIT:

Now, with regards to verifying that a change was made as part of the reset script, there are a number of options. Easiest of course would be to verify whether /etc/shadow was changed within the last minute. It's not foolproof, but better than nothing. There is also the following:

diff <(sudo passwd --status root | cut -d" " -f3) <(date +%Y-%m-%d)

Again, not foolproof as it will only validate that a change was made today. 

Of course, on distros where it's available, /var/log/secure will contain an entry mentioning that the account's password was changed.

18 hours ago, Buckit said:

Now, since we're managing our SUDO-rules centrally in LDAP

I haven't seen it done with LDAP; however this link seems like it might get you there https://www.sudo.ws/man/1.8.17/sudoers.ldap.man.html

Right now, heartbeat status is set to green after a change,

I went to verify this, but I ran into an issue with the reset script due to special characters. I've asked support to look into it.

On a side note, despite having the command prepended with a blank space, they are still being logged to history.
993   echo 'snip' | sudo -kS echo Password Validated || echo Password Incorrect
994   echo 'snip' | sudo -kS echo Password Validated || echo Password Incorrect
995   echo 'snip' | sudo -kS echo Password Validated || echo Password Incorrect

Support, can you add in both scripts to execute this as the priv account user 'history -c' after completing the validation or reset commands.

Hi Sarge,

We can only issue one line of commands when we perform the execution of a reset or validation. As we are not Linux experts by any means, can this be appended to the commands we are issuing without interfering with the output we are testing for, or these resets and validation?

Alternatively, can this be disabled at the OS level, as it does not seem very secure to log this information in clear text?

Regards

Click Studios

1 hour ago, support said:

Alternatively, can this be disabled at the OS level, as it does not seem very secure to log this information in clear text?

It's not, which is why we prepended a blank space to the commands. However what I'm not clear on is why this only affects the validation command and not the resets.
As my priv accounts history is only full of validation attempts - no resets.

Users could schedule a cron task to recycle the .bash_history; but it's nice/easier to be done at the script level.

Regardless, appended ; history -c && history -w will do it

$resetcmd = ........ ; history -c && history -w

Will work for resets and validations. Mint, RHEL, CentOS, macOS is where I've tested.

I did not gather the right urgency from the manuals regarding that particular topic, so I went against it and never applied the rootpw.

Based on this, the documentation should probably be improved to point it out.

Hi Sarge,

Thanks, and we'll check out the history command when we get some time.

In terms of documentation, does section '14. Password Resets and Account Validation for Linux Root Accounts' in the following document cover it - https://www.clickstudios.com.au/downloads/version8/Password_Discovery_Reset_and_Validation_Requirements.pdf. Happy to make further changes to this if required.

Regards

Click Studios

4 hours ago, support said:

As Sarge pointed out, this would not be easy to do. Aside from the technical feasibility, there is also the  desirability of such a modification: persistent shell history across sessions is one of the core and oft-used features of the Linux shell environments. Taking it out would be like telling a Windows admin that they couldn't use keyboard shortcuts anymore.

32 minutes ago, Buckit said:

this would not be easy to do

And we thought Linux was meant to be easy - don't have these issues in Windows :P

It will take us some time to test what Sarge is suggesting, as we normally test with about a dozen distro's, and there are multiple "if statements" in the script which can execute different commands. We will also confirm ourselves if we are seeing any information in the history.

Regards
Click Studios

ACK... In the meantime I'll keep on looking for alternatives to test the root password.

EDIT:

An alternative, yet again using Python, would be the Python PAM library -> https://github.com/FirefighterBlu3/python-pam. However, as before that would introduce a requirement for Python (plus a non-standard lib) on the client-systems. I can of course make sure we meet these requirements on our end and use a custom validation script, but it won't help PasswordState users in general.

python -c "import pam; pam.authenticate(root, secret)"

There's also PamTester, but that's ancient and not included with Linux distros. The Python lib described above would be more elegant. I wish PAM itself would include something similar to PamTester!

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I haven't seen it done with LDAP; however this link seems like it might get you there https://www.sudo.ws/man/1.8.17/sudoers.ldap.man.html

Oh, I have the SUDO-through-LDAP working just fine, that's not the issue. The issue is that the "Defaults:pstate rootpw" line is not something that I can mangle into LDAP. Or at least, I haven't been able to make it work yet. And I -really- don't want to adjust all the local /etc/sudoers files.

EDIT:

Scratch that! The sudoers.ldap documentation provides one very important detail:

It is possible to specify per-entry options that override the global default options. /etc/sudoers only supports default options and limited options associated with user/host/commands/aliases. The syntax is complicated and can be difficult for users to understand. Placing the options directly in the entry is more natural.

Ace! So now, if I want to make things work with the default PasswordState scripts, it's a matter of:

CN=pstate-ECHO,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local:
	sudoHost = ALL
	sudoCommand = /usr/bin/echo
	sudoOption = rootpw
	sudoUser = pstate

CN=pstate-PASSWD,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local:
	sudoHost = ALL
	sudoCommand = /usr/bin/passwd
	sudoOption = rootpw
	sudoUser = pstate

All that is left right now is to make sure that SUDO will always ask for a password instead of having that passwordless grace period. Otherwise you're gonna run into the "passwords don't match" dealio, because the initial password prompt does not appear. Nice!

Actually, @Sarge, there's one thing I'm unclear about. You indicate that "Defaults:pstate rootpw" is needed in the sudoers ruleset. I now understand why and how.

What I don't get, is why the password changing command $ResetCmd for "normal" user accounts does not get called with the root password. In the Powershell script you're calling sudo passwd while piping in "$PrivilegedAccountPassword\n$NewPassword\n$NewPassword". See below.

if ($PrivilegedAccountUserName -ne "")
{
	# Skip MacOS and VMWare
	else
	{
		if ($UserName -eq 'root') {
			$ResetCmd = "echo -e $'$OldPassword\n$NewPassword\n$NewPassword' | sudo -S passwd $UserName"
		}
		else {
			$ResetCmd = "echo -e $'$PrivilegedAccountPassword\n$NewPassword\n$NewPassword' | sudo -S passwd $UserName"
		}
	}
}

The fact that the sudoers ruleset is setup to demand "rootpw" for the privileged account, means that the latter should fail. Unless you specify two SUDO rules: sudo passwd root, with the rootpw flag and sudo passwd * without the rootpw flag. That would introduce a need for proper SUDO rule ordering though...

EDIT:

Ha, never mind! The manual that @support linked to explicitly states this!

Please note: If you make this change for thePrivileged Account Credential, then only thisaccount can only be used to reset the ‘root’ account, and no others on that Linux host.If you have other accounts on the Linux host which require password resets, you will need to use a separate Privileged Account Credential which is not configured  as per the instructions above

The great thing is that I can work around this limitation with SUDO+LDAP! Putting together what I've learned today, the following SUDO rules will allow me to 1) use the default scripts from PasswordState, 2) use just one privileged account for Unix hosts!

CN=pstate-ECHO,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local:
	sudoHost = ALL
	sudoCommand = /usr/bin/echo
	sudoOption = rootpw
	sudoUser = pstate

CN=pstate-PASSWDROOT,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local:
	sudoHost = ALL
	sudoCommand = /usr/bin/passwd root
	sudoOption = rootpw
	sudoOrder = 10
	sudoUser = pstate

CN=pstate-PASSWD,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local:
	sudoHost = ALL
	sudoCommand = /usr/bin/passwd *
	sudoUser = pstate

EDIT 2:

CONFIRMED! The SUDO rules shown above, when put into LDAP, work wonderfully! One privileged account can manage both root and normal users using the default PasswordState scripts.

Feature request: put this example into the manual, same chapter as linked to before (CH14).

13 hours ago, Buckit said:

And I -really- don't want to adjust all the local /etc/sudoers files.

Understandable. We use spacewalk so it's easy for us to make changes en-mass.

12 hours ago, Buckit said:

The fact that the sudoers ruleset is setup to demand "rootpw" for the privileged account, means that the latter should fail. Unless you specify two SUDO rules: sudo passwd root, with the rootpw flag and sudo passwd * without the rootpw flag. That would introduce a need for proper SUDO rule ordering though...

Ha, never mind! The manual that @support linked to explicitly states this!

I didn't read the manual because I didn't need to (apparently I do lol); but I'm glad they're all over it!

I was about to say "Good pick up!" 

CN=pstate-ECHO,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local: sudoHost = ALL sudoCommand = /usr/bin/echo sudoOption = rootpw sudoUser = pstate CN=pstate-PASSWDROOT,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local: sudoHost = ALL sudoCommand = /usr/bin/passwd root sudoOption = rootpw sudoOrder = 10 sudoUser = pstate CN=pstate-PASSWD,OU=sudoers,OU=domain,OU=local: sudoHost = ALL sudoCommand = /usr/bin/passwd * sudoUser = pstate

Formatting went wonky, but this is a good solution.

I would raise though, if the pstate account does all users passwords including roots, does this raise any security concerns for you? 
Personally I'd rather have an account just doing roots password; but that's just me. :)

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

I would raise though, if the pstate account does all users passwords including roots, does this raise any security concerns for you? 

Personally I'd rather have an account just doing roots password; but that's just me. :)

That's what a good risk assessment is for :) Well, not just the assessment, but also the steps undertaken based on the outcomes.

To be fair, how much different would this pstate account be from the privileged user account that's used on the Windows side? The Windows privileged account is given full password management rights on a whole AD-domain, which includes all normal user accounts, service accounts and the local admin accounts. The only thing not in there is the AD recovery account :P Besides, since moving to LDAP for SSH+SUDO, there won't be many local accounts to begin with ;)

I'd say the following are needed:

• Strict access permissions. On Unix/Linux you unfortunately cannot specify the who+from+to+times+protocol without the use of additional tools *, but you can certainly come a long way.
  • Strong authentcation. Use proper passwords for the privileged accounts or use SSH keys (which seems like a really good idea) **.
  • Proper logging. Keep track of the activities undertaken by the privileged accounts.
  • Proper auditing. It'd be great if we could plonk all the activity logs into something like Splunk, or a SIEM, where you can discern patterns as well as behavior that falls outside of it.

The fact that we can manage the privileged accounts centrally is a bonus: you can quickly lock or change them if you suspect foul play. Either way, by taking mitigating actions like the ones described, I feel that the risk can be brought to an acceptable level.

*: FoxT's BoKS is one of those products and there are others out there as well. They're neat to have in high-security environments, but they also add another layer of complexity (and money). Which reminds me that I'll add building a set of PasswordState scripts for BoKS onto my ToDo List. That way you can manage the passwords of BoKS-managed accounts :)

**: A little searching and five minutes of prodding rendered a nice success! It's easy to configure SSH and SSD to grab public keys from the altSecurityIdentities field of a user CN. That's pretty sick! I'll make YABP (yet another blog post) about it.

Right... to summarize everything in this thread.

FEATURE REQUESTS:

• After a password expiry/change, automatically perform a heartbeat validation. This double-checks the outcome of the password change and hopefully alerts you to false positives on the change. Case in point: I have one root account where the password validation goes green, but password reset goes red with "It appears the password for the root account being reset is incorrect". That should be impossible, right?!
  • Expand the PasswordState manual, with regards to Linux/Unix privileged users and Sudo rules. Perhaps add some more clarification of the current situation and if possible add explanation on how sudoers.ldap would change things.
  • Further expand the outcome verification of password changes (not just on Linux, but also Windows as evidenced in the other thread). I still need to test the modifications you suggested, but this is already in progress. Again, to prevent false positives. For instance, also look at password change times/dates, changes to relevant files/resources, etc.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the back and forth:)  We appreciate the effort involved in the discussions here.

For the Feature Requests:

• The heartbeat validation issue is now fixed and will be patched in the next build.  We've modified the script so it can't produce any false positives, and will only report a green heartbeat if the result is successful.
  • We'll have a read through your suggestions and try to add some new content to our manuals, or possibly under the KB section of the Help Menu
  • We can visit this if needed, but hopefully the next build will have resolved this issue entirely:)

Thanks guys,

Support.

Archived