An Error Has Occurred - Database Connection?

tjwmagic

Hello,

We have had a series of problems which has lead to this state we are at now. Over the weekend, I had to change my user account password, which has caused the backups to fail on Sunday and Monday. Not realizing the backups failed, I started work on getting an SSL installed for the Passwordstate website. While I was troubleshooting an issue with IIS and the certs disappearing, I noticed I was no longer able to connect to my Passwordstate website. Below is what the website shows and attached the error log in Windows Event Viewer. When I run the SQL Query, it shows me info about the backups, and that it failed due to unknown user account password, which is expected due to the fact that I changed the password. The SQL Database is still there, as I can view its files using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. I did have to change the "Logon As" for the SQLExpress service to the updated password.

We are running Windows 10 for this with the latest IIS.

Thank you for your help!

black-error-16.png An Error Has Occurred

Unfortunately an error has occurred within the Passwordstate web site, for which we apologize for the inconvenience. 

The error has been captured and reported in the Windows Application Event Log on your web server, or Security Administrators of Passwordstate can view the detail on the screen Administration -> Passwordstate Administration -> Error Console.

If you are unable to view the Error Console screen for any reason, you can ask your Database Administrator to run the following SQL Query, which will show the same data from the Error Console Screen: 

USE Passwordstate
SELECT * FROM DebugInfo

If you need some assistance from Click Studios in troubleshooting this error, please ask your Passwordstate Security Administrators to contact us for help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Error has occurred executing the Call 'QueryPasswordResetPortalSystemSettings' - No error message available, result code: E_FAIL(0x80004005).&stacktrace=   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
   at PasswordstateService.PasswordstateService.QueryPasswordResetPortalSystemSettings()

Hi tjwmagic,

Sorry your're having some issues, and it's a bit difficult for us to know what's caused this issue now - unless it's related purely to you account password change - generally we recommend using a service account for this, and not your own.

If you set the SQL Windows Service back to Local System, does the SQL Services start okay? If so, can you take the passwordstate_user SQL account credentials out of the web.config file (in the root of the Passwordstate folder), and make a successful connection using SQL Server Management Studio?

Since you seem to have SSL certificates disappearing, which is most unusual, maybe you should migrate your install to a different machine. If you want to try this, you can use the following instructions for this:

https://www.clickstudios.com.au/documentation/move-new-web-server.aspx

https://www.clickstudios.com.au/documentation/move-new-database-server.aspx

Regards

Click Studios

Wanted to give you a status update, 

I switched the SQL Express to the local System. Had the issue with the connection. I went into the the passwordstate_user SQL account and update its credentials per the web.config but nothing. However, when I went and tried to restore an old web.config file (6 days old) I was able to make the connection. I am making a backup real quick before I try on the SSL Certificate. I also just had an employee call me to his desk.

Will get back to you soon!

Hello,

Thank you for your advice on the database. That corrected the issue. With the SSL, I discovered I was installing them wrong. Windows isn't the nicest with ensuring you do things correctly. After I installed it the correct way, everything worked correctly with the lovely Secure Lock. 

Archived