DavidRa

Browser Extension for Edge

As I understand it, the current extension is compatible with Chrome. I also understand that Chrome extensions are, by and large, compatible also with Edge (they just need to be placed in the Windows Store).

I'd really really like to see this, because it's now just about the only feature keeping me from using Edge more frequently.

Hi David,

Microsoft only recently opened up submissions of extensions for Edge to "general" developers, and we submitted our Extension to them yesterday. They do warn you to be patient with review of extensions, so it might take some time for them to review it. We had our extension completed almost a year ago, but had to wait this long before we could submit it.

Regards

Click Studios

Just noticed it's appeared in the store. Downloaded it on two machines both running version 1709 (16299.15 and 16299.19) which I think should meet the requirement on the store (build 14393.0 or later).

Seems like I'm missing a setup step - as can be seen, it appears to be "not quite right" (and I did restart the browser, enable the plugin and browse to my Passwordstate site (v8.1.8114) first):

image.thumb.png.77f96e37d83b59329fd5ba43d62bdc1a.png

No build number shown, doesn't recognise the ClickStudios community as a saved site, none of the menu items work. Not even generating a new password :(.

Still good to see it's present, hopefully we can get an update soon!

Edited by DavidRa
Clarifications

Hi David,

Can you tell us if you are using the just released Fall Creator's update of Windows 10? We had another customer report this last night as well.

If it is the Fall Creator's update causing this, and we'll do some testing shortly, then this is very disappointing from Microsoft - Microsoft only just allowed mainstream developers to release Edge extensions (like in the last month), and then their next update of WIndows appears to break everything.

Regards

Click Studios

12 hours ago, support said:

Can you tell us if you are using the just released Fall Creator's update of Windows 10?

Certainly is (it was buried deep in the text, would have been nigh on impossible to see sorry). Happy to provide further info if it'll help.

Hi Guys,

Just letting you know that there should be a new build of the Passwordstate Edge extension available in the Microsoft Store by now, fixing issues with the Fall Creators Update.

It’s possible that it may have auto-updated for you already, and you can check the build as per the screenshot below.

Thanks for your patience whilst we re-worked this compatibility change.

edgeupdate.png

Regards

Click Studios

It was looking good, I have had some success. Looks like the recent MS updates may have gotten in the way again though (a couple of rendering issues). This is very annoying (and I know it's not ClickStudio's fault). Still seems to be working enough though.

It's failed to show the panel when the icon is clicked - the icon gets the blue underline from the click, but it doesn't show. Probably reproducible 2 out of 5 clicks, maybe 3/5? Clicking twice more (close, open) seems to show it:

image.thumb.png.06437aec04f4f142f9fd91b90abf1043.png

Then the panel itself has shown about 4x final size, then sometimes resizes to correct and sometimes not - haven't managed to capture that one yet.

Hi,

we also have a some problems with the passwordstate Edge extension.

The icon never turns white in Edge and we can´t take advantage of the extension features.

This is very disappointing because the majority of employees in our company are using Edge.

I hope you can fix this bug soon.

Kind regards

Achim

passwordstate_edge.jpg

Hello Achim,

Can you let us know if you have the following, as per the requirements for the Edge extension - this is from our manual:

" In order to use the Edge extension, your Passwordstate web site must be using a trusted SSL Certificate, purchased from an external SSL Certificate provider. We are currently investigating if it's possible to use an internal Active Directory CA certificate, or Self-Signed Certificate."

Regards

Click Studios

Hi Achim,

Sorry, but we do not believe we will be able to solve this - this is a restriction Microsoft enforce.

Purchasing a trusted SSL certificate is quite cheap (about $10), and is recommended anyway for securing a product like ours.

Regards

Click Studios

On 1/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, support said:

Purchasing a trusted SSL certificate is quite cheap (about $10), and is recommended anyway for securing a product like ours.

Well, either that, or you ensure that your PasswordState server is provided official certificates by your in-house PKI. That would make life a lot easier and cheaper (assuming you have many in-house servers that need certs). :)

Hi Buckit,

We're trying to figure out why, but we can't even get a certificate from an internal AD CA to work - we get back the error 'unknown error' when trying to communicate with the API. We've got someone looking into this at the moment.

Regards

Click Studios

3 hours ago, support said:

Hi Buckit,

We're trying to figure out why, but we can't even get a certificate from an internal AD CA to work - we get back the error 'unknown error' when trying to communicate with the API. We've got someone looking into this at the moment.

Regards

Click Studios

We use an internal CA for our Certs.

Shoot me an email if you want me to try anything in dev 

Hi Sarge,

Thanks for the offer. We'll see if we can first getting it working with our own internal cert, and if we haves success with this, we might also ask you to test with yours.

Thanks again.

Regards

Click Studios

8 hours ago, support said:

We're trying to figure out why, but we can't even get a certificate from an internal AD CA to work - we get back the error 'unknown error' when trying to communicate with the API

Like Sarge, we've got our Passwordstate API working just fine with a cert from our internal CA. Don't have much time to spare to help in troubleshooting, but if you have specific questions you know where to reach me through email.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has been able to get the Edge extension to work, it's the only browser we have an issue with.

We purchased an SSL certificate from COMODO, and the browser confirms it, however, the extension icon stays red.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated?

Dan

Hi Dan,

We're working on this at the moment again, but are still having issues with it. Edge is the only extension we have issues with, which is disappointing considering it's the most recent Browser available.

The only way we can get this to work reliably ourselves is to have our Passwordstate environment exposed on the Internet i.e. external DNS, were traffic comes through the firewall. This makes no sense to us why this works, but we're looking again to see if we can do anything about it.

Regards

Click Studios

On 7/25/2018 at 1:27 AM, support said:

Hi Dan,

We're working on this at the moment again, but are still having issues with it. Edge is the only extension we have issues with, which is disappointing considering it's the most recent Browser available.

The only way we can get this to work reliably ourselves is to have our Passwordstate environment exposed on the Internet i.e. external DNS, were traffic comes through the firewall. This makes no sense to us why this works, but we're looking again to see if we can do anything about it.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi guys, I'm glad the issue isn't our end, we've been scratching our heads, wondering why this wouldn't work.

Hope you guys can get to the bottom of it. 

Many thanks,

Dan

Hi Everyone,

No update in this certificate issue yet with Edge, but we are going to move this feature request into the closed feature requests forum, as the original scope has been completed.  We have, however created a Bug fix for this internally, and we'll report back to this forum post once we find a solution to this certificate issue.  The tracking ID for this bug fix is PS-2654 and if you need to you are welcome to contact us on support at clicktudios.com.au for updates on this.

Regards,

Support

Hi Everyone,

We know this is very late to reply but we do have some news about Edge.  We recently purchase some support with MS so we could log a call with them for this.  After a few weeks of back and forth, we have discovered that the issue is if the Passwordstate web server is on the same subnet as the desktop that runs edge, the extension will not configure.  If you host the Passwordstate web server on a different subnet, then the extension works as expected.

We are waiting on MS to provide either a reason for this behaviour, or confirm it is a bug with Edge.  At this stage we do not think they will admit it is a bug, so moving your Passwordstate server to a different subnet might make this work in the short term.

Sorry for late response on this.  We had a few cracks at it over the last year, and couldn't work out what we were doing wrong.  It turns out there was nothing we could have done at our end:(

Regards,

Support.