Unable to send Self Destruct Message

Fabian Näf

Hi

I'm using Build 8037. When I create a Self Destruct Message and click to "Send Email" it doesn't work. The message "Sending Email - please wait..." appears, but then I got stuck and nothing happens.

I get the following error in the browser console:

Uncaught Error: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500

at Function.Error.create (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6)

at Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._createPageRequestManagerServerError (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15)

at Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._parseDelta (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15)

at Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._onFormSubmitCompleted (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15)

at Array.<anonymous> (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6)

at Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

at Sys.Net.WebRequest.completed (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6)

at XMLHttpRequest._onReadyStateChange (Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6)

Error.create @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

_createPageRequestManagerServerError @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15

_parseDelta @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15

_onFormSubmitCompleted @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:15

(anonymous) @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

(anonymous) @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

completed @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

_onReadyStateChange @ Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=RadScriptManager1_TSM&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScri…:6

As I just tested, my email-configuration seams to work, I'm able to send test-emails.

If I use a Security Administrator-Account for sending Self Destruct Messages I don't get this error and it works.

Best regards,

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

I've just tested this with both a Security Admin and non Security Admin account, and it seems to be working for us.

Could you email us a screenshot of your emails server settings on the System Setting screen to have a look at? We had another customer report a similar issue recently for version 7, and it would be nice to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for sending your email settings. We've done quite a bit of testing when using Exchange, and Gmail as the mail server, and we cannot reproduce this issue unfortunately. The error message you are getting below does indicate that Passwordstate is connected to the gmail server, but for what ever reason it is rejected the request.

"Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.3.4 554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Submission.Exception:SendAsDeniedException.MapiExceptionSendAsDenied; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot submit message".

Do you have an internal email server you could also test with?

Regards

Click Studios

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have another email server to test, because I run Build 8037 in my testenvironment.

But I think I got where the issue is comming from:

When I send a Self Destruct Message I assumed, that it's sent from the users email-address wo's creating the Self Destruct Message.

My email-settings are using a Exchange-Server, which needs authentication, for what I'm using my own email-account. This Exchange-Server doesn't allow sending emails from another account then the configured one.

This explains, why sending Self Destruct Messages works from my Security Administrators account (this accounts uses the same email-address as configured for authentication on the Exchange-Server).

I just tested this:

1. When I change a users email-address to the email-address configured for authentication on the Exchange-Server, I'm able to send Self Destruct Messages from this user.

2. When I change my Security Administrators email-address, the Security Administrator is not able to send Self Destruct Messages anymore.

Best regards,

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

If you have an email address associated with your account on the screen Administration -> User Accounts, then the email will be sent using this email address. If you do not have an email address associated with your account, then it will use the email address you have specified on the Email Server Settings screen.

At all times, we send through the email server which you have configured on the Email Settings screen.

I just tested again using the mail server settings of smtp.gmail.com, where my email address was set to both a local Exchange email address and then an external gmail address, and this worked both times for me. I also tested again with a Security Admin and Non Security Admin accounts. I'm really not sure why this is not working for you unfortunately. If you can think of anything else we can test, then I'm happy to do this for you.

Regards
Click Studios

Hi

I did my testings above with smtp from Outlook.com (smtp-mail.outlook.com). 

I just tested again with smtp.gmail.com and I was not able to reproduce the issue anymore. When using gmail, all emails were sent from the email address I have specified on the Email Server Settings screen. I already tested some days ago with gmail.com, but then I got the failure. This time, I did a logout/logon to Passwordstate after every change, probaly this makes a difference, but I don't know. 

Best regards,

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the update - we appreciate it. If you are changing your email address on the screen Administration -> User Accounts, then yes you should logout and back in to pick up the change. Hopefully this was all it was.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived