Guest Ruber Rodriguez

Visual C++ 2013 runtime has not been installed

Guest Ruber Rodriguez

Hi there.

Actually I have an inconvinient with the password reset script, this is the error I get:

A scheduled Account Heartbeat check failed to validated the password for account root (\LinuxHosts) of Account Type 'CentOS' on Host centos7.latcom.la. Error = Failed to validate password for account 'root' on Host 'centos7.latcom.la'. It appears the Visual C++ 2013 runtime has not been installed on the Passwordstate web server.

But I have Visual C++ installed and firewall Off.

Hello,

In our script we have a specific exception to capture when this library is not installed, so either the wrong version is installed, i.e. not 2013, or possibly the install is corrupted.

Following is a link for the correct version, and this needs to be installed on your Passwordstate web server - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=40784

After you've installed it, or maybe you did just install it recently, can you restart the Passwordstate Windows Service and let us know if it works now?

Thanks

Click Studios

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Effectively, restart the PC and disappears the error. Now I'm having another issue, when for testing purposes expire password manually  on a CentOS 7, I get the following error:

Oct 18 09:07:29 localhost sshd[9638]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 18 09:07:29 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_verify returned error: Error de comprobación preliminar del servicio de contraseña
Oct 18 09:07:29 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_verify returned error: Error de manipulación del testigo de autenticación
Oct 18 09:07:29 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_noverify returned error: Error de manipulación del testigo de autenticación
Oct 18 09:07:31 localhost sshd[9638]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user root

But in Passwordstate appears the password change was succesfull when it doesn't.

Doing the change of password manually, works well.

The same issue happens on CentOS 6.

The CentOS installs are new with SELinux disabled

Hello,

I've tried to use Google Translate to translate your error, but unfortunately it's not helping me at all - could you translate for us please?

We've done testing with CentOS 7, and the resets seem to work for us, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with version 6, or possibly how your linux box is configured.

Can you tell us which Password Reset script has been selected for this record, and if the Operating System for this Host record in Passwordstate is set to CentOS?

Thanks

Click Studios

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

This is the translated error:

/var/log/secure <==
Oct 18 18:18:11 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_verify returned error: Failed preliminary check by password service
Oct 18 18:18:11 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_verify returned error: Authentication token manipulation error
Oct 18 18:18:11 localhost passwd: pam_pwquality(passwd:chauthtok): pam_get_authtok_noverify returned error: Authentication token manipulation error
Oct 18 18:18:14 localhost sshd[2004]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user root

The CentOS version are minimal and I installed a new one only for test the reset script, nothing are configured on the machine.

The script selected for this purpose is "Reset Linux Password" and YES, the Operating System for this Host record in Passwordstate is set to CentOS.

I think the issue can be related with my initial problem, about missing Visual C++ 2013. Is there a way to make a complete uninstall of Passwordstate and do a new clean install?

Regards.

Hi,

I don't think this has anything do to with Visual C++, as you are no longer seeing that error. I think you are experiencing an error, that we are not capturing in our reset scripts. Can you do the following to try and capture the error:

• Go to the screen Resets -> Scripts - Password Reset
  • For the 'Reset Linux Password' script, select 'Test Script Manually' from the Actions menu
  • As per my screenshot below, add $results.ToString() just after the "Success" output
  • Now enter appropriate details on the right hand side of the screen, and see what output you get when testing manually

Can you let us know the output once you've done this?

linux.png

Hi,

Next show you the output about what you suggest:

Executing for Host 'centos7v2.xxxx.xx' at 19/10/2016 08:37:02 a.m..

Success

Changing password for user root.

New password: Retype new password: Sorry, passwords do not match.

New password: Retype new password: Password change aborted.

New password: Password change aborted.

passwd: Have exhausted maximum number of retries for service

RunScript.png

Hi Ruber,

Thanks for the output, and I believe I can see what the issue is - 'Sorry, passwords do not match', although I'm not sure why this is happening yet. Below is the line which is executing for you:

echo -e '$OldPassword\n$NewPassword\n$NewPassword' | passwd

If you SSH manually into this Linux box, does the command 'passwd' ask you for your current password once, and then to confirm your new password twice?

We'll do some testing again today on Centos 7, but if we cannot replicate the issue, we may need to setup version 6 to test on also.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi there.

Because root is a super user, didn't ask for the current password, only the new password and confirm.

I try run the script manually again modifying the line #73 that you comment:

$ResetCmd = "echo -e '$NewPassword\n$NewPassword' | passwd"

And the script made the change successfully.

Now, testing the script again with a normal account, works well too, so the problem is when modify superuser accounts.

Hi Ruber,

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it. Maybe this is something we've overlooked, as feedback from most of our customers indicate that they cannot SSH in to their hosts using root.

We'll need to do some testing on all distros and see if we can get this working.

Regards

Click Studios