parrishk

Title in Google Authenticator

Good morning!

Loving the Google Auth ability!!!

My request is that there be a title added to the Google Auth entry to distinguish it from the others if multiple accounts utilize Google Auth.

This could simply be "Passwordstate" or the name of the particular server.

post-525-0-75690400-1459951419_thumb.pngpost-525-0-39752000-1459951418_thumb.png

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your request, but we believe this is a limitation with Google Authenticator.

We've had a look on Android and Windows Phone, and there does not appear to the a "Title" field at all, and below is a screenshot from the Google Play store which reflects this.

Are you seeing the ability to specify a Title if you manually add an account to your Google Authenticator? For now, I think you will just need to look for the Passwordstate prefix before your account id.

post-1-0-64195900-1459982462_thumb.png

Regards

Click Studios

Hello,

Attached is another screenshot of my Google Authenticator that shows that the "Title" option is present.

Each of these were added via QR Code but I did see that there is an option to add it manually if using the manual entry method.

Here is some documentation I found that looks to be addressing this request. https://github.com/google/google-authenticator/wiki/Key-Uri-Format

I hope this helps.

Kyle

post-525-0-16813200-1460121960_thumb.png

Thanks Kyle - we'll check this our ASAP.

What made us think it was not possible was adding a secret key manually in Google Authenticator does not give you the option to specify a title - at least on the two OS's we tested with.

We'll let you know the outcome.

Regards

Click Studios

Good morning,

I just wanted to follow up on this. Did you ever have a chance to look into this?

From what it look like, you simply need to append the following to the URI before it is converted to a QR code:

"issuer=PasswordState"

Example: otpauth://totp/Example:alice@google.com?secret=JBSWY3DPEHPK3PXP&issuer=Example

Thanks!

Hi Parrishk,

Sorry we completely overlooked this. We just did some testing, and have the following results:

• QR Code will no longer scan on Windows Phone
  • On Android phones, the Issuer label shows on the bottom where we already the word Passwordstate
  • And on iOS, it shows at the top as per you request. 

Normally if we make a change like this we like it to work on all phones, so at this stage we don't think we can implement this change. Maybe in a future release we can provide the option where the user records what type of operating system they have on their phone, and then we can make it work cross platform.

Regards

Click Studios

Good morning,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I also did some testing on my end and found that the URL used for generating the QR code can be a little sensitive.

For example, I had to make sure I was using "%26" rather than "&" when declaring the "issuer" property.

I am not sure how you generate the QR code but in my example below I used the chart.googleapis.com API.

The following URL generates the QR and I verified on IOS and Windows that the Title is present and the OTP code works (after swapping out for the correct secret of course).

Please let me know if you have the same result when scanning the QR code.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=400x400&chl=otpauth://totp/Passwordstate-marvel-ironman?secret=U2AF55TF234G2LDT%26issuer=PasswordState

chart.png.e6c56360251ada9a6c7e777b6b2d0bc5.png

Hi Parrishk,

We had no issues generating the QR Code. But when we added the Issuer to the URL, it did not work with Microsoft's authenticator on Windows Phone, and as mentioned, Android behaved different. We generally like to have consistency between all 3 phones before we implement a feature, So we'll let you know if anything changes.

Regards

Click Studios