adminvalida

Extension not turning into white

Hi,

i just installed the browser extensions (7531) for Internet Explorer. The Icon appears and is red, if i log into the Passwordstate web site the icon turns into white for a very short time and then turns back into red again.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Richard

I also just upgraded to 7531. Installed the extension for IE and upgraded the extension for Chrome. Now, neither Chome (working before the upgrade) or IE extensions are turning from Red to White. ??

For the Chrome extension, I see the following error in the Audit log. (I removed the IP address)

Failed 'Browser Extension' API cookie authentication attempt from the IP Address "xx.x.xx.xx'. Session cookie is missing from the method GetWebSites().

& For IE

It starts with Successful 'Browser Extension' authentication to the API for UserID 'domain\username' from the IP address 'xx.x.xx.xx'. but then fails just like chrome extension.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Sorry you're having these issues, but can you try/confirm the following for us:

• The new extensions requires cookies to be enabled in your browser - can you confirm if they are?
  • Can you try stopping and starting the PasswordstateApps Application Pool in IIS, and then the site in IIS, as per the screenshot below?

post-1-0-06715700-1450473083_thumb.png

Regards

Click Studios

I am also experiencing this same issue.  I tried to restart the PasswordState application pool and it is still not working.  I have also tried to reboot the server and i still have the same problem.  I then upgraded to build 7535 still not working.  I am running Chrome 47.0.2526.106 m.   I have not tried the extension in Firefox or internet explorer. My web browser is set to allow cookies.

Hi ndg,

Normally the upgrade and restarting the App Pools and site fixes this.

If you go to the screen Administration -> Auditing, and filter on the 'Browser Extension' platform, is it reporting any errors which would help us troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Click Studios

this is what I see in the log. I changed or removed the IP address and usernames.

12/21/2015 3:29:19 PM Browser Extension       My IP spacer.gif Login Attempt Failed   Failed 'Browser Extension' API cookie authentication attempt from the IP Address 'MY IP'. Session cookie is missing for method GetWebSites(). 12/21/2015 3:29:19 PM Browser Extension       My IP spacer.gif Login Attempt Failed   Failed 'Browser Extension' API cookie authentication attempt from the IP Address 'My IP'. Session cookie is missing for method GetWebSites(). 12/21/2015 3:29:19 PM Browser Extension       My IP spacer.gif Login Attempt Failed   Failed 'Browser Extension' API cookie authentication attempt from the IP Address 'My IP'. Session cookie is missing for method GetWebSites(). 12/21/2015 3:29:19 PM Browser Extension Domain\username user name My IP spacer.gif Login Attempt Succeeded   Successful 'Browser Extension' authentication to the API for UserID 'Domain\username' from the IP Address 'My IP'.

Hi ndg,

This error seems to indicate that the session cookie authentication is failing, which is new to Passwordstate build 7531 and above.

Would you be able to test using the Firefox extension to see if there is something going on with your Chrome extension?

Also, if you have a look at all the extensions installed on Chrome, is Passwordstate being reported as version 7.5.3.1 or 7.5.3.2?

Thanks

Click Studios

Upgraded to Build 7535. No change. When I click on the icon for the IE plugin, it says (Extension Build 7531) is there something I need to do to upgrade? It also says the same thing in the Chrome plugin. I confirmed that the Chrome plugin is 7.5.3.2 but still says Extension Build 7531.

I think I may have found something that will help in TS this issue. The URL we use to access Passwordstate in our environment is https://gems/ When I do this, I get the cookie problem. If I use the FQDN https://gems.domain.com/ it works. I was looking at the cookies options in IE to see if I could allow cookies and enter the shortened URL, it would provide the error of invalid domain. That they must be valid IDN names. I think it is a cookie issue with the domain name in my instance. Not sure how to go about fixing this.

Hi ndg,

This error seems to indicate that the session cookie authentication is failing, which is new to Passwordstate build 7531 and above.

Would you be able to test using the Firefox extension to see if there is something going on with your Chrome extension?

Also, if you have a look at all the extensions installed on Chrome, is Passwordstate being reported as version 7.5.3.1 or 7.5.3.2?

Thanks

Click Studios

Paswordstate says the chrome extension is 7.5.3.2. 

in firefox with extension version 7531 the i works.  

I tried to install the internet explorer one as well but kept getting and error when it was trying to register a dll.  that happened on windows 7 and windows 10.

Using the FQDN as jeff.winkler suggested, worked for me when trying to use the chrome extension.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for helping us figure this out - we weren't aware that cookies required a FQDN, and as we use these in all of our dev/test environments, we never picked up on this issue.

After some investigation, it seems Chrome expects at least 2 decimal places in the URL for it to be considered a valid domain. I'm not sure there's much we can do about this, apart from update our documentation to so you must be using a FQDN URL.

ndg, for the IE issue, did you try the installer as an 'Admin' - we did test on Windows 7, 8 & 10 and never run into this issue, so we're curious if it's a permissions issue?

Regards

Click Studios

Getting really frustrated with the Passwordstate extension system.

I have had an issue where the extension stopped filling forms over the last several months. This was already reported. It happens across the last several versions of Passwordstate and the Passwordstate Chrome Extension. This has been confirmed within our organization across multiple Macs. (This is reported here: http://www.clickstudios.com.au/community/index.php/topic/1591-chrome-plugin-no-longer-entering-credentials/ )

Now, we updated to the latest versions of both the main system and the extension. Suddenly, we all get the red icon and it never turns white.

While checking the plugin, we noticed that the bubble that appears when clicking the icon in the toolbar of Chrome on Mac shows build 7531..

Image%202015-12-31%20at%206.36.27%20PM.p

On the Extensions listing in Chrome, it shows as build 7.5.3.2.....

Image%202015-12-31%20at%206.38.49%20PM.p

Help would be greatly appreciated.....

EDIT: Note, we always use a FQDN (ie, https://ps.domain.com )

Hi Scubes13,

We think we have found the issue for this problem, and will be releasing a new build in the next 2 to 3 days. Sorry for the inconvenience in the short-term, and we'll update this forum again once the new build is available.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi Scubes13,

We think we have found the issue for this problem, and will be releasing a new build in the next 2 to 3 days. Sorry for the inconvenience in the short-term, and we'll update this forum again once the new build is available.

Regards

Click Studios

Bump since we are still experiencing this issue after upgrading to the newest version.

Hi dbeck_cfr,

Sorry you're running into this issue. Can you tell us what build of Passwordstate you're using, and also which browser?

If using Internet Explorer, can you try the following:

• Close IE
  • Uninstall the extension from Add Remove Programs
  • Then open a command prompt as Admin, and then run the MSI installer again

Can you also confirm:

Thanks

Click Studios

Hi dbeck_cfr,

Sorry you're running into this issue. Can you tell us what build of Passwordstate you're using, and also which browser?

If using Internet Explorer, can you try the following:

• Close IE
  • Uninstall the extension from Add Remove Programs
  • Then open a command prompt as Admin, and then run the MSI installer again

Can you also confirm:

Thanks

Click Studios

Newest version 7551 running on Server 2012 R2

Using the Chrome Plugin 7531

SSL Certificate is Valid

Url format is fqdn ps.domain.local

I don't even see the prompt in password state about the API being queried

Hi dbeck_cfr,

If you go to the Help Menu, and open the Web API Documentation page, does the documentation page load okay? The browser extension relies on the API, so if this is broken in anyway, then it will not work.

When you refer to the 'prompt' in Passwordstate, do you mean auditing data for this? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here?

Thanks

Click Studios

Hi dbeck_cfr,

If you go to the Help Menu, and open the Web API Documentation page, does the documentation page load okay? The browser extension relies on the API, so if this is broken in anyway, then it will not work.

When you refer to the 'prompt' in Passwordstate, do you mean auditing data for this? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here?

Thanks

Click Studios

Server Error in 'API' Application

I assume you would like me to open a ticket for you with support.

Hi dbeck_cfr,

Thanks for sending us an email with the error detail. It looks like you are one of the unfortunate customers who have run into some corruption when a .NET Framework patch was applied to your web server - you are only the 3rd customer to have this issue so far.

If you have a look at the following forum post, it will show you how to fix this - http://www.clickstudios.com.au/community/index.php/topic/1582-server-error-in-api-application/

Regards

Click Studios

This is still happening for us as well. Same error message as above using the internet explorer plugin. We have restarted app pools and the server itself. We are accessing the page via an FQDN. The chrome extension seems to work flawlessly for me though. 

Error message (IP Sanitized):

Failed 'Browser Extension' API cookie authentication attempt from the IP Address ''. Session cookie is missing for method GetWebSites(). 

Hi Antioch,

With this error message, can you tell us if you have cookies disabled in IE? The error seems to indicate this, but possibly it's a misleading error message. Another thing to check is to ensure you are using a "trusted" SSL certificate in your browser, although if this was not the case, we wouldn't expect Chrome to be working for you.

Regards

Click Studios

I do have cookies allowed in IE. I made sure to whitelist the full domain within IE settings to ensure that cookies were being passed OK. The server is using a trusted certificate, not a self signed one. 

Hi Antioch,

Thanks for the information, and it sounds like everything is correct - it's just strange you are seeing these audit records saying that the secure cookie does not exist.

Can you try a new version of the extension that we will be releasing soon? You will need to:

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Click Studios

I tried the new version of that extension. The error still exists. The message is the same.

Every time I navigate to an external website I am also seeing constant popups in IE. I have attached an image of the message I am getting.

Internet Explorer Security popup.PNG