support

Importing from KeePass into Passwordstate

Purpose:

The process below will import all of your KeePass data into Passwordstate.  We highly recommend taking a backup of your Passwordstate database prior to performing this import.  You can either use the automatic backup feature within Passwordstate, or possibly use SQL Management Studio Tools instead.

Exporting from KeePass in the Correct Format:

If you would like to migrate your passwords from KeePass to Passwordstate, you will need to export them as a csv file, which Passwordstate reads correctly.  The best version of KeePass to do this in is the Classic version and must be at least Version 1.31.  The Classic version has better options when exporting, allowing you to select which attributes of your passwords you would like to insert into the csv file.  If you are using KeePass Professional, you will need to transfer all of your passwords to the Classic version.  To do this:

1. Open KeePass Professional and click File -> Export

2. Select KeePass KDB (1.x)

3. Select a place on your local disk to save the export to, and click OK

4. If you get an error saying "This file format does not support root groups" click Close

5. Open KeePass Classic

6. Click File -> Import -> KeePass Database...

7. Open the .kdb file you generated in the export process above

8. Enter in the Master Password for your exported database and click OK

9. Click File -> Export -> CSV File...

10. Save the .csv to somewhere local like D:\KeePass-Import\Passwords.csv

11. Under the fields to export, ensure you also tick "Group" and click OK

2017-02-15_13-43-51.png

**Important** Once you have exported this .csv file, DO NOT modify and save in Excel in any way.  This can make the .csv file unreadable for the purpose of this exercise.

Preparing Passwordstate for the import

1. In Passwordstate, under the Passwords menu, create a Password List Template.  This process will be copying the settings and permissions from this template when setting up your data.

2. On the Template, ensure you deselect the "Prevent saving of Password Record is 'Bad' password is detected":

2017-02-15_11-13-29.png 

3. Also on the same Template, ensure you select the URL field as follows, and save it:

2017-02-15_11-13-57.png

4. Apply appropriate permissions to the template via the Actions Menu.  Any user you give access to on this screen will get access to all passwords you import from KeePass.  If need be, you can easily modify permissions after you've completed this import process:

2017-02-15_14-15-24.png

5. Press the Toggle ID Column Visibility and take note of the TemplateID

2017-02-15_14-15-13.png 

6. Download the Import-Keepass.zip file from the Click Studios web site, and extract the contents into the same folder as your exported KeePass .csv file.

7. Take note of your System Wide API key in Passwordstate, which can be found under Administration -> System Settings -> API Keys.  If you need to, you can generate a new one:

2017-02-15_14-25-49.png

8. Open the extracted import-keepass.ps1 file in your favorite Powershell scripting tool, and modify the top 4 variables to reflect the correct information about your environment. You will need to enter your Passwordstate URL, the exact path your exported .csv file, your system wide API key, and your Template ID:

2017-02-15_14-28-30.png

9. If you now run your Powershell script, you should notice a KeePass Import folder in Passwordstate, along with Multiple Password Lists which are named the same as all your groups and sub-groups from KeePass.  They will also contain all the relevant passwords:

2017-02-15_14-32-49.png

10. If you like, you can create some Folders in Passwordstate and begin dragging and dropping your new Password Lists as appropriate.

If you have any questions about this, please contact Click Studios on support@clickstudios.com.au

Hi

I made two PowerShell-Scripts to import your personal data into Passwordstate. One is for importing from KeePass and one for importing from Passwordsafe.

Because Clickstudios is a great company with an amazing product and support, I like to share my scripts with the community.

Terms: These scripts are free to use, it's not allowed to resell my scripts or making business with it! There's absolutely no warranty about what the scripts are doing, you use them on your own risk.

I made these scripts, because the script above from Clickstudios has two disadvantages:

1. It doesn't import the folder structure (everything is in one folder after importing).
  2. First you need to export to KeePass 1.3.2 and than export it from KeePass 1.3.2 into a CSV-File

Prerequisits

• ID of a Template with URL-Field enabled (see manual from Clickstudios above)
  • Systemwide API Key (see manual from Clickstudios above)
  • ID of the folder in which you like to import to (for importing in Root, the ID is 0)

Using my PowerShell-Scripts

My scripts are built to import a users personal KeePass/Passwordsafe data, so you need to specify a Username (e.g. domain\username), which you like to give access to the imported datas.

If you first like to checkout, what whould happen if you would run the script, you can change "$global:PasswordstateWhatIf = $False" to "$global:PasswordstateWhatIf = $True".

KeePass

Export your data from KeePass (tested with Version 2.35) as XML-File.

Start KeePassImporter.ps1 with PowerShell, enter requested datas and choose the XML-File.

Passwordsafe

Export your data from Passwordsafe (tested with Version 3.42.01) as "Plain Text (tab separated)". As Delimiter use the default-value "»"

Start PasswordsafeImporter.ps1 with PowerShell, enter requested datas and choose the Plain Text-File.

Best regards & good luck with these scripts,

Fabian

PasswordsafeImporter.ps1

KeePassImporter.ps1

Just wanted to say thanks.  I've tested Fabian's script on the version 8 beta and it worked perfectly once I realised what user creds it was asking for.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for your feedback!

I just updated my post above with a little example for the username. (domain\username)

Hopefully I'll find some time next week to make a new version, which uses the new WinAPI. Then you will not need to specify an username if you like to use your own account.

Best regards,

Fabian