samnorth

Chrome Authentication Continuous Prompting

Version: 7.1 (Build 7123)

A few weeks back, I started getting prompts to continuously re-authenticate when trying to perform any action within the PasswordState interface (i.e. search for a password, etc).  I've attached a screenshot for reference.

This is occurring only within Chrome -- not within Firefox or Safari.  All browsers are on the latest & greatest version.

We have AD integration for our accounts + Duo for MFA, and I also have the Chrome extension enabled & configured.

System details:

OSX 10.10.2

Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit)

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

post-339-0-08910900-1425596392_thumb.png

Hi Sam,

Can you tell us if you possibly have McAfee Anti-Virus installed on your Passwordstate web server? The McAfee On-Access scanning does seem to kill sessions in IIS, which can cause this authentication prompt. If not, do you know if any errors are being reported in the Application Event Log on your web server? Lastly, do you have any Chrome Extensions installed which could be temporarily disabled to see if they are the cause - we had one customer last week where the LastPass extension was causing them issues with Duo Push Authentication.

Something else you might want to consider is the authentication setting for the site in IIS. If you are primarily using Macs, you could try:

• First going to the screen Administration -> System Settings -> Authentication Options tab, and select the authentication option 'Manual AD and Duo Push Authentication'
  • Then in IIS for the site, enable 'Anonymous' authentication
  • When you next browser to the site you won't get any authentication prompt, instead you will get a Passwordstate login screen to enter your domain and Duo credentials

Let us know if this helps at all.

Regards

Click Studios

So good call on a few angles here.  I'm not going to close the book on this one yet but here's what I've done to alleviate these behaviors (for now):

1) I disabled the 1Password and PasswordState extensions within Chrome

2) I added the 'passwordstate.exe' service executable to the McAfee On-Access Low Risk Process Policy exclusions which essentially excludes this process from On-Access scanning, as well as any files/folders that process interacts with.

3) Cleared all cache and history related to PasswordState on my workstation

I was watching the Security logs on the server the entire time to see if anything struck me as odd, but just normal audit behaviors.  Nothing in the App log FYI.

Once behavior seemed to clear up, I re-enabled the 1Password Chrome extension and validated the issues didn't return.

Like I said, I'm not 100% convinced this has been averted, but I'll keep an eye on it for a while.  Like I mentioned, these symptoms only happened within Chrome -- not Firefox or Safari.

Thanks for the assistance for this.

Hi Sam,

With McAfee, you will probably need to set an exception on the Passwordstate folder, and all nested files/folders. Any time the web.config file, or anything in the /bin folder is modified, then this can cause IIS sessions to end. The Passwordstate.exe file is just the Passwordstate Windows Service, and nothing to do with the web site itself.

I do agree that you should generally see the same issues with Safari and Firefox though, but McAfee does cause our customers quite a few issues - which is why I suggested we try the exception and see if it helps.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi Sam,

We've had a few other reports of this issue recently, as we believe it's caused by a bug in the latest version of Chrome - another customer found this article relating to the bug - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=466147

As it doesn’t happen in IE or Firefox, we can only presume it is this bug – and not all customers are seeing this. We use Chrome all day, and have not had the issue once.

One customer was able to resolve it by bypassing their Load Balancer, and point their browsers direct to the Passwordstate web site, so possibly this bug relates to some sort of infrastructure between the browser and the web server i.e. load balancers, proxy servers, etc.

Unfortunately it looks like we will either have to wait for Google to fix this, or revert back to a previous version of Chrome. Apparently versions prior to 41.0.2272.76 were okay, and you can download older versions of Chrome here if you wish to do this - http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/history

Regards
Click Studios