StefanPahrmann

Upgrade error

Hi, 

I'm trying to upgrade from 6.350 to 7.105, but I'm getting an error during step 2: "Thread was being aborted" at Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_Schema_Data_Updates

Looking into the logfiles I've found this:

13-01-2015 13:19:00 - Build 7000 Upgrade Started.

13-01-2015 13:19:00 - Build Process 'Build_7000_SchemeUpdates_Part1' failed with the following error - Column+names+in+each+table+must+be+unique.+Column+name+%27FQDN%27+in+table+%27dbo.ADDomains%27+is+specified+more+than+once. ::: +++at+System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior+behavior%2c+String+method)%0d%0a+++at+System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_Schema_Data_Updates(String+sqlScript%2c+String+LogFileDetail)

13-01-2015 13:19:00 - Build Process 'Build_7000_Updates' failed with the following error - Thread+was+being+aborted. ::: +++at+System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()%0d%0a+++at+System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object+stateInfo)%0d%0a+++at+System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_Schema_Data_Updates(String+sqlScript%2c+String+LogFileDetail)%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_7000_Updates()

Doing a query select * from dbo.ADDomains gives following:

1 xxxx dc=corp,dc=xxxx,dc=com 1 NULL NULL NULL

With FQDN as the 5th column (NULL)

Can you give some hints, what to do?

Regards

Stefan

Hi StefanPahrmann,

We're truly sorry you've run into this issue.

This error indicates that you have tried the upgrade more than once, as it's trying to apply a database schema change which has been made previously - which it obviously can't do. Did you capture the initial error that we can have a look at?

Is it possible you can restore your database, and then try the upgrade again - if you run into issues again, can you send us the log info and we'll try and figure out what's causing it.

Thanks, and sorry for the issue in the first place.

Regards

Click Studios

Hi, 

It's a bit tricky to do a restore, since i needed to rollback and a simple replacement of the files did seem to work. I would rather doing that. Is there some other way? Can we do it with the backup from before the upgrade?

It's true I tried to run the upgrade several times, here is the first output:

13-01-2015 13:05:06 - Build 7000 - Step 2 Completed Successfully.

13-01-2015 13:05:44 - Build Process 'Build_7000_DataUpdates' failed with the following error - Query+timeout+expired ::: +++at+System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior+behavior%2c+String+method)%0d%0a+++at+System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_Schema_Data_Updates(String+sqlScript%2c+String+LogFileDetail)

13-01-2015 13:05:44 - Build Process 'Build_7000_Updates' failed with the following error - Thread+was+being+aborted. ::: +++at+System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()%0d%0a+++at+System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object+stateInfo)%0d%0a+++at+System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_Schema_Data_Updates(String+sqlScript%2c+String+LogFileDetail)%0d%0a+++at+Passwordstate.Upgrade.Build_7000_Updates()

Regards

Stefan

Hi StefanPahrmann,

Yes, you can use the database backup before the upgrade attempt. The query timeout expired is a little unusual, but I think we've seen this once before. After you have done the database restore, can you manually run the following SQL statement before you attempt the upgrade again:

USE Passwordstate

DELETE FROM TreeViewState

WHERE PasswordListID = 0

I'm not sure if this is the cause of the query timeout issue, but it did help one customer in the past.

Regards

Click Studios

The problem with a restore is, that the service was "open" for end users after the failed upgrade and that some passwords probably were updated/newly created. 

Is there a way to tell which passwords are updated/created after e.g. 2 PM yesterday and by whom (eventually by SQL query)? I could either try to contact them or migrate them by myself afterwards manually?

-Stefan

Hi again, 

I tried the upgrade again, and checked the query (with 0 rows affected) before. I rebooted the server to rule out some "hanging" process. It failed with exactly the same error again. 

Do you want me to open a supportcase or can we continue here in the forum?

-Stefan